2/21/2013

I am not a doctor, so I don't write from the medical point of view to advocate any products or services, yet, I can share that a medication my husband has taken has helped him quit the physical addiction to the nicotine in the cigarettes. That medication is Chantix.



For the first week he used the Chantix, he smoked, just a little bit less. The second week on Chantix, the "must-have " urges for the cigarette were reduced in about half. I was ecstatic. He was obnoxious. He was extremely moody and I would not allow myself to give in.



I learned that in the past when he had tried to quit smoking, his family, by the fourth day he was smoke-free, yelled at him to smoke because he was nasty and intolerable. I knew this going in to this process and I promised myself that I would not accept verbally abusive treatment , no matter what. Second, I decided that I would not, under any circumstances, tell him to smoke.



Was it hard to stick to my personal promises, yes. Almost impossible at times, but I knew that I would not be the one to tell him to quit trying to quit. I had to be stronger than him, if necessary, emotionally. It was necessary. I kept a positive outlook on the long-term future benefits to his health, and our lives. I kept telling myself, " I can get through his quitting even if he's not sure if he can."



It's been about 21 days since he's had a cigarette, yesterday he made one greater improvement, he stopped complaining about a heaviness in his chest. He was nice to me and verbalized his recognition that he was making progress. He mentioned that psychologically, he still wants to pick up a cigarette, but that he has decided not to. He's also sleeping more soundly, so I am sleeping better.



We're going to celebrate our progress with a mini-getaway. Hang in there, the results will be awesome.
Posted by Admin On 3:02 PM No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

Blog Archive