6/28/2013

Introduction



The vast majority of smokers who cease smoking permanently smoking do so without any type of medication (eg Lee and Kahende, Am J Public Health 97: 1503-1509, 2007). Most people who have quit smoking successfully have either used cold turkey or reducing smoking prior to stopping.



The aim of this article is to examine cold turkey in combination with positive thinking as a method of smoking cessation.



First attempt to stop smoking



In general, the first attempt to stop smoking is unlikely to be successful. The individual needs to be committed in order to have a good chance of quitting. One of the reasons that early attempts to cease smoking may be unsuccessful are because they are not serious attempts (Chapman et al.,PLoS Medicine Public Library of Science 7, 2010).



Cold turkey



"Cold turkey" is the sudden arrest of the use of nicotine in any form. It has been estimated that, at least 80% of people who have successfully stopped smoking have used this method (Doran et al. Addict Behav. 31:758-66, 2006).



The Advantages of using Cold Turkey as a Smoking Cessation Method



There are 2 principle advantages of using cold turkey to quit smoking.



1. It is cheaper.



2. The process of quitting nicotine is completed much faster. In fact, you have stopped using nicotine the day you put out your last cigarette.



How Positive Thinking may help you to Stop Smoking



I was a 30 a day smoker myself for over 30 years. During the last 10 years, I made many attempts to become a non-smoker. The method I used to stop smoking was cold turkey.



I finally succeeded in stopping smoking with the help of positive thinking. I found that it was a relatively stress-free way of stopping.



Believing that you will succeed appears to be an important factor in smoking cessation. A study of ex-smokers who had used cold turkey as the method to quit smoking indicated that 53% found that stopping was "not at all difficult"; 27% found it "fairly difficult", and only 20% found it very difficult (Chapman et al,. PLoS Medicine Public Library of Science 7, 2010).



This is where positive thinking comes in. Positive thinkers are more likely to believe that they can stop.



The Happy Ex-Smoker



After I stopped smoking, I felt very positive. In addition, I found that when I was facing another short-term challenge in life, I was able to use the same techniques that I used to stop smoking. I am now much more resilient to challenges having a negative effect on me. Moreover, my positive thoughts have improved my social life and has provided me with a variety of exciting opportunities in life.
Posted by Admin On 12:02 AM No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

Blog Archive