11/04/2012

I am not a smoker. I never have been and never will be.



Both my parents were smokers though. My father used to smoke upwards of 40 cigarettes per day and my mother was not that far behind him.



That was a few years ago and now, sadly, they are both dead. My father had a myocardial infarction (heart attack) at the age of 67 and died instantly. My mother had a stroke when she was 69 and spent 4 months in a nursing home until she finally died.



The smoking killed them both. Sure, we all have to die, but they died early through their smoking.



Which death was the best? Who knows. My father died instantly and in great pain with none of his loved ones near him. My mother was totally helpless for 4 months - she couldn't speak, walk or move. She was helpless in all respects. Nurses had to do everything for her, including the unmentionable.



I miss them both and curse the fact that they did not relent in their defence of smoking.



We all know of people that lived till 90 having smoked all their lives. The stark reality, though, is that many more die before they reach that age. Some in the agony of real pain. Others in the agony of loss of dignity. Lord knows what they feel when they enter that phase of deterioration and death.



How many, if they had their time again, would choose the life of abstinence? How many would elect to be healthy and happy - content in their world without tobacco and habit?



I know that smoking killed both of my parents prematurely. I will never support anyone in their smoking habit or advocate the habit in any way at all.
Posted by Admin On 12:02 AM No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

Blog Archive